The hardest part for me was picking a subject no *spoiler alert* here folks I'm not going to tell you what I submitted I want to keep that a surprise! I have been thinking about my subject since Dreamforce '16. A long time you say? Well yes kind of I had been arguing about topics with myself "no that has been covered before, that's not an interesting subject, who would want to listen to a talk about that " etc. I really admire people who just know what to talk about anyway they go!
When I got my Eureka moment then it all came to me. I started scribbling notes to myself about the content and started putting together a deck. I stalked Twitter and Salesforce blogs until they announced submissions were open I came up with a sassy title all I needed to do was fill out the form and press submit! Here are some tips that got me through the submission phase:
- Pick a topic you are passionate about and can talk for hours about. One thing I did was pick something I could talk about for days without any slide decks. Which brings me to my next point……
- You do not need to have your presentation ready to submit – sounds simple but I did go into a panic trying to get a presentation ready and it turns out I didn’t need to have my deck ready at all (boy do I feel silly stressing about that!)
- While you don’t need to have a presentation ready, do have a rough idea of how long your presentation will be will it be 20 mins or 40 mins long
- Know who you want to present to – it’s there on the form, are you looking to present to Beginners, Intermediate or Advanced? Don’t forget there are 2 different tracks: Admin Track or Dev track
- And finally know why you want to speak at DreamForce. I went back and forth on this question for two weeks, why did I want to present at Dreamforce? What inspires me and why do I want to share with the attendees? A valid question, I decided to write my personal reasons instead of what I thought Salesforce would want to hear and I advise you to do the same!
For anyone who is thinking about submitting – DO IT you have a few days left, throw your hat in the ring, you have nothing to lose!
Call for speakers ends June 30th 2017 and you can submit here: Admin Track submission / Developer Track submission